Sunday, October 18, 2009

The sun will come out... tomorrow....


Beautiful weather today. Technically it's my day orf, but in my usual fashion I'm doing paperwork and getting the washing done. I've been sick the last few days, took a couple of days off work towards the end of the week because I couldn't see straight enough to drive. Allergies turned to bronchitus and grossness. Vacuumed the hell out of the garageyroom and dusted down as many of the boxes as possible, going to ask the boys if I can move the dryer somewhere though, perhaps to the other end of the room. It's pretty dusty in there and the dryer just kind of stirs it around.

Spent Saturday and Sunday at Emerald Arts, hoping for lots of sales but both were very slow days. Had a lot of interesting chats with tourists (we had a giant cruise liner come into the harbour) though so that was pretty neat ;)

Enough of that though, lets talk Renew Newcastle. I said in my last post that I was at the end of my rope, and I was, but I've come to realise that I love Emerald Arts (and Newcastle) and I will cling to that baby like a limpet to a rock... if I can.
Lately, a few of the other Renewers have had their leases terminated due to commercial interest. Which means basically that they have a month to move out from their current space and Renew will try to replace them somewhere else... but we are out of spaces so I'm not sure how that is going to happen.

I'm hoping that the leaky windows, paint spattered carpet and murals on the walls will save Emerald Arts from extinction... but given that I am behind on my rent and that my studio is in an excellent spot... right across from David Jones... I am very very worried.

So what would losing Emerald Arts mean to me? Besides losing a space to teach my students in, somewhere to paint, somewhere to communicate? It would mean the loss of excellent storage (which is important since I am currently kind of homeless). It would mean that I would lose access to the general public, something I have come to value greatly for advice while creating artworks. It would mean that some goals had been achieved... the city centre has been revitalised to a point where shop holders are willing to come back, that the city is seen as a viable place for commerce... my little bit of it would be gone.

Is Renew Newcastle a sucess though... for me personally? I don't know. I'm having a whole lot of trouble making a living... but that could be because I am trying to go to Tafe as well as run a studio/shop. Factors such as lack of stock (choice for customers) and no advertising may also contribute. I was making serious inroads while living at Mum and Dad's... because i was saving money that could therefore be used on stock creation and advertising... but being kicked out has put me back on that front a very long way.

Sigh, I don't know. I'm going to try not to stress about it, que sera sera. Emerald Arts is my heart, there is so much of me in the place... but I guess it's only a shop and I knew full well when I entered into the contract that losing the place sooner rather than later was a distinct possibility.


Gah.

Sorry for being such a mopey moose blogger.

Think I'll go for a walk, that always cheers me up.

-Emmeline

1 comment:

Renee said...

Sweet Em you love the shop and I think you need to stay and keep it open.

If something happens and it is not to be well then you go over that brige when it is in front of you.

Love you and don't give up.

Renee xoxo