Thursday, May 1, 2008

entry one: Everlasting Flowers (Waste as Art exhibition).

The beginnings of one of my artworks. So far the cranes on sticks are definitely going to be a feature, I think I may fill the bottle with something like stars made from paper complementary to the cranes... or the sands of time... who knows :P The ethos behind the work comes down to the transient part paper and flowers play in our lives. For the past month I have been collecting every piece of paper, foil, whatver is foldable basically, in a box in the kitchen. Every couple of days I sift through, picking out materials that appeal then cutting them into squares that I then fold into origami cranes.

Materials include the following: artworks in Frankie magazine, postcards, cereal boxes, champagne and cigarette foil gathered from various social gatherings, graphics from Giant Robot (an American magazine focusing on Japanese culture), medicine boxes... I think you get the idea. I have a complete list which I will submit with the artworks when I take them to the exhibition hall later this month.



The backdrop is one of my life drawings, the material below from our Japanese exchange student of many years past, Mie.




No comments: