Sunday, September 21, 2008

On clouds.




I'm not exactly sure where I first started painting, but it's something I have only done very sporadically, and it's only the last four months or so that I have been going about things seriously. It's become a bit of an obsession.

I can tell you exactly where I learned to paint clouds though. My mother taught me.

My favourite book when I was small was "There's a Hippopotamus on Our Roof Eating Cake ". When I was five my mum and I painted the cardboard box that had previously housed our shiny new fridge with images from this beloved tome. Even though I was reading it to her at that stage LOL

Mum drew a scene from the book on each side of the box, and I helped colour/paint in. The clouds in the sky we painted using the cotton ball method. You just take a cotton ball, dip it into white paint, then splodge it on to make the clouds. Then, when the white paint is dry, add silver highlights, but don't go overboard.

The picture above is a much more recent example :P It doesn't have the highlights though, because I was out of silver that day.

No comments: