Sunday, October 12, 2008

Pocast rec- The Skeptics Guide to the Universe



The Skeptics Guide to the Universe is an awesome podcast. If you are familiar with the concept of Critical Thinking, or simply want to know how things like the Large Hadron Collider work, check this one out.

I came across it a few months ago when looking for answers. Or rather how to answer politely when someone asks you your opinion about something that you know to be an utter crock. I have an anaphylactic response to wheat and/or gluten. Often this brings out the wierd, especially at the Markets. There is a certain sector of society that believes in magic. They love to wax poetic on how this herb or type of alternative therapy will heal my allergy. However...

Sorry kids, you can't heal what I got. I'm always torn between wanting to know why they feel so strongly about their miracle cure and laughing uncontrollably. Unfortunately for me, my parents are old world and very strict, so I generally just make listening noises then make my excuses and leave.

I did some investigationing. Apparently, I am not the only person on earth who thinks that the very concept of Iridology is charming but impossible. That "alternative" does not mean better, it usually means worse.

Skeptics know the score. So go have a listen, you'll learn about how things really work, and be thoroughly entertained as you do so.

http://www.theskepticsguide.org/

No comments: